Thursday, July 20, 2006

Bad design

Alternat title: A little something about flicker that pisses me off

Recently, logging into flickr I noted that two wonderful web friends had added me to their contacts. I then attempted to reciprocate the favour and add them to mine. So I started looking, and looking and could not find a way to add these people as a contact. Whilst I am no longer a hard core web programmer code hermit type I currently manage web technologies and build websites when required, so I know how _not_ to make a site. And abstrusely hiding functionality is one good way to piss off your users. And ces que la fungus were they thinking when they wrote the help. Imagine if you will you have the question in mind – How do I add a contact when you visit the FAQ, here is the section:

Contacts

1. Why do I need contacts?
2. What are the different types of contacts I can make?
3. Is there a limit on the number of contacts I can have?
4. How do I invite my friends into Flickr?
5. Can everyone see my age or my real name or my email address and IM names if I enter them in my profile?
6. How do I remove a contact?
7. Another Flickr member is making me uncomfortable. What can I do?
8. Someone is blocking me. What's up with that?


So where the fungus does it say how to add a blumin’ contact. Retards.

2 comments:

Diego said...

It doesn't cover it probably because it is so friggin obvious (Hah!) When I opened flicker, at the top, there is a row of topics: Home, You, Organize, Contacts, Groups...

Hold on! Contacts! That must be it! Click on that topic. If you have no contacts / friends set up, there is a 'Search' box. Type the flickr name of your friend. When you get the results, move your mouse over their photo. A dropdown arrow shows up. Click on it. Select 'Add as contact'. It will ask if you want to mark them as family or friends. Voila! It's done.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Also, if you are looking at their profile, there will be a small box just to the right of their avatar. If you click on this, it will bring up a menu asking if you want to make them a contact.