Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Alternate National Anthem

To the drunk bloke with the half finished tats laying on the grass outside the pool this morning - The lyrics are thus:

Traveling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast
And she said,

"Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said,

"I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."

Lying in a den in Bombay
With a slack jaw, and not much to say
I said to the man, "Are you trying to tempt me
Because I come from the land of plenty?"
And he said,

"Oh! Do you come from a land down under? (oh yeah yeah)
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."

11 comments:

LẌ said...

Catchy riff! You might be on to something, mate!

fingers said...

Super post, mate.
Take a kookaburra out of petty cash and award it to yourself...

unique_stephen said...

The dude could really sing - a big full bluesy voice - Couldn't remember the words to save his life tho'.

I think Larrikin Music are cunts btw.

KJ said...

"Couldn't remember the words to save his life tho.."

Heh, so.... JUST loike the aussie national anthem, eh? ;o)

"Australians all let us rejoice...for...something, something, something....hmmmmmmm...hmmmmmmmm... ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR!!!!!!!

white rabbit said...

Yeah - It's a good one. Much better than your official national anthem - which is no worse than most other ones...

Fusion said...

Gotta say it would be better (well at least easier) than your current one, that's for certain.
Advance Australia Fair is one of the most boring national anthems I've heard, but as White Rabbit said, none are that good anyways.
Are some Aussies still pushing to replace it with Waltzing Matilda?

Spiky Zora Jones said...

I love 'Men At Work.' I saw it in mothers record collection.

vegemite, oh no...don't like vegemite sandwiches. But I suppose I could get used to it in time.

And don't forget that #1 hit..."Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport."

I like that tune too.

Memphis said...

You know, the whole world knows that song. If they did change the Aussie national anthem to that everyone could sing along at the Olympics when you guys win.

Ms Smack said...

heheheh great post.

Keiran said...

My favourite is "God Defend New Zealand" - because nobody else will!

The problem with Advance Australia Fair is easily fixed by singing to the tune of Jimmy Barnes "Working Class Man."

And who from Mr Chute's 5th grade music class doers not know all 3 verses?

unique_stephen said...

Barnsey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsAtOWLGeic