Sunday, April 29, 2007

Green Tree Snake


In a comment CeCe thought that there was too much emphasis on spiders in this blog. So it's lucky then that our neighbour called us over to see a Green Tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulatus) that was sunning on their fence. They are a most attractive snake, don't cha think. They are about 1.5m long and very thin with a lemon yellow underneath and variable but usually some sort of green / brown verging on blue on top. They are non venomous, mostly eating frogs, insects, worms and the like. I didn't find a good link to give you the background on them but I thought this was interesting.
Our's and the neighbours kids were fascinated for all of about 5 minutes then went to play in the mud.

Pictures here.

4 comments:

Helen said...

I saw your beautiful family photo on Steph's comments, and had to mosey on over. Seems we have the same taste in books, as well. Put Albion's Seed by David Hackett Fischer on your list if you're free for a good read.

Helen said...

Oh sorry, you're an Aussie, it's a good read, nevertheless.

unique_stephen said...

thanks for stopping by. Don't mind me if I read your archives over the next few days.

CeCe said...

Well, I DOOO love snakes! I think they're neat creatures, so I don't mind that photo. She IS a beautiful specimen! All we get around here are garter snakes. They're lots of fun, but get a little boring after I've had a dozen or so in my home each week of the summer 'cause my cat is obsessed with catching them and bringing them to me.